Senior Manufacturing Engineer – Aerospace
What you’ll do
In this role you would provide senior technical leadership to the Integrated Program Team, driving improved product and manufacturing performance through the implementation of world class engineering and manufacturing processes. You will have an opportunity to work with a highly motivated and empowered team, have direct impact on product, team and business performance, working with large, complex, composite/metallic/carbon/fiber part fabrication and assembly.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accountable composite assembly involving metal bond, sheet metal details, other metallic or carbon fiber riveting and threaded fasteners; first article and configuration changes; tooling changes; monitoring of tools requiring repair or replacement; and new product quotes.
- Identifies engineering problems and initiate corrective action to ensure parts are in line with quality standards and production requirements.
- Controls the transition of new tools from design through change control to verify correctness of tools and production parts.
- Provides direct support of production operation in areas such as changes to B.O.M., interpretation of prints to ensure ply orientation and contour and specialized assembly issues.
- Provides continuous process improvement through the revision of work instructions, statistical process control (SPC), creation of shop aides, operator training, re-development of plies and engineering process changes.
- Provides technical information and support to Company suppliers and customers.
- Supports the vision and mission for the Company; support strategies and processes designed to meet and exceed the expectations of customers and management.
- Supports the company’s commitment to maintaining a safe workplace and protect the environment by adhering to Company policy and various government regulations.
- Complies with the GKN Compliance and Ethics Policy on Contracting with the United States Government in all areas of responsibility involving direct and indirect contracting with the United States Government.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as needed or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- 5 years of aerospace manufacturing engineering work experience
- Fiber/Polymer/Composite linked degree; Aerospace, or Mechanical Engineering degree with bonding or resin processing experience preferred.
- Experience and/or training in the manufacturing of composite/metallic/carbon/fiber products or tooling.
- Experience with: configuration control, change boards, BOM development and CATIA.
- Experience with: First Article Inspection (FAI) process; process control; tag submittal.
- Experience assessing risk in manufacturing processes (FMEA/PFMEA).
- Experience in data collection/analysis techniques.
- Experience reading blueprints and customer specifications.
- Training or experience in lean tools and techniques.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with internal and external customers, associates, departments, outside vendors, and other teams.
- Managing projects and assignments: Creating and executing project work plans and revising as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Operating a personal computer with proficiency in related technical and specialized software.
- Experience with specialized personal computer hardware and software applications (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Creating and updating detailed work instructions.
- Making independent judgments and decisions.
- Presenting and delivering information effectively.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills essential.
- Must be self-directed and detail oriented.
GKN is a global engineering business. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for most of the world’s leading aircraft, vehicle and machinery manufacturers. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to better in everything we do. GKN operates three divisions: GKN Aerospace, GKN Driveline and GKN Powder Metallurgy employing 56,000 people in more than 30 countries.
GKN Aerospace is the world’s leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 55 manufacturing locations in 14 countries, we serve over 90% of the world’s aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world’s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
As a global engineering company, innovation is what differentiates us from our competitors and is central to our success.
A balance of cultures, ethnicities and genders help bring new ideas and creativity to GKN. We need people of different backgrounds, with different skills and perspectives to spark originality, imagination and creativeness in our teams around the world.
GKN is an equal opportunity employer.
We treat all our employees and applicants fairly and are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination or harassment against any employee or qualified applicant on the grounds of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.