Mechanical Engineer – Heat Treat
Plans, directs, and coordinates technical and metallurgical support for the heat treat process.
Essential Duties and Accountabilities:
- Develop and implement solutions to manufacturing problems and improvements in manufacturing methods that result in improved quality and increased productivity while maintaining a safe working environment
- Create and maintain improvement plans while communicating with those involved in the improvement process as well as the affected associates
- Coordinate with management, engineering, and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, and other considerations to facilitate production processes
- Interface with all levels in the organization using verbal, written and graphical communication tools to ensure efficient production methods
- Specify heat treat process parameters & furnace atmosphere specifications to ensure process consistency; document and control process parameter information
- Coordinate with Shinsen (tool room) technician on tooling inspection, repair and replacement, as well as consult on failure mode evaluation & design upgrades
- Estimates production times and related costs to provide information to management
- Confer with and supports metallurgist for quality analysis and process planning
- Create and maintain technical drawings for spare parts, tooling, equipment layouts, and components for improvements and upgrades
- Communicate with domestic vendors as well as support in Japan for quoting and ordering spare parts
- Work with production personnel, maintenance, and other engineers to troubleshoot machine issues, as well as to plan and implement improvement projects
- Support furnace PM, repair, and investigation activities
- Provide troubleshooting and process training to maintenance and operators
- Support 5-S, Kaizen Team and Koyo Production System, TS16949, ISO14000, and CQI-9 efforts throughout the plant.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must have good leadership skills
• Mechanical aptitude
• Strong organization skills
• Must work independently as well as within a cross-functional team
• Interact and work with associates at multiple skill levels
• CAD modeling/drafting with industrial standard GD&T
• Strong engineering/problem solving skills
• Good communication skills
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree (BS) in science or engineering from four-year college or university with zero to five years related experience and/or training; or Associate’s degree in science or engineering from two/four-year college or university with five to seven years related experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be necessary to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Work is mostly performed in the manufacturing setting (approx. 75%) and in the office setting (approx. 25%) with minimal exposure to health or safety hazards and with substantial time spent working on a computer. Requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate computer keyboard and other office equipment
• The performance of this position requires exposure to manufacturing areas which require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, safety shoes and mandatory hearing protection
• Occasional confined space entry is required during furnace PM and inspections
Employee may perform other duties as requested, directed or assigned.